Friday, September 4, 2015

WHY FRIENDSHIP BRACELETS ROCK (EVEN IF YOU MAKE THEM FOR YOURSELF!)


Friendship bracelets aren't little gifts exclusively for friends - you can rock your own creation just as well! This is typically what I do - I make bracelets and I wear them. Myself. Don't get me wrong, I've dished out a few to some really close friends in the past! These bracelets seemed to have been a cool trend a few years ago (2 years ago?) but you might not see too many of them in stores at this time. I guess consumers could say that they've lost their popularity - they're a thing of the past. Here's why I think that friendship bracelets should never ever lose their appeal: 

1. They easily add casualness. 
Friendship bracelets are chill - super casual and easygoing - that's the kind of vibe you might get from people who wear them, at least that's the vibe people get from me when I wear them! They top off your look by adding just enough casualness to your outfit. Pair them with a flannel top and ripped jeans for a super down to earth look. 

2. They never tarnish. 
Unlike silver bracelets and necklaces that you can get from Claire's or Forever21, friendship bracelets are made of string (called embroidery floss) and you won't get an ugly tinge on them from oxidation. Don't get me wrong, I will still buy cute necklaces from Forever21 but the fact that you won't have to throw these bracelets away because of tarnish is definitely a plus! 

3. They are very easily customizable. 
These bracelets are extremely easy to make, or maybe I'm just speaking for myself since I've been making these bracelets since Elementary school! Never fear, they actually are easy to make on your own, which means that you can pick your desired colors and create the patterns you want. If you're a beginner then a great pattern to start off with would be an easy chevron, pictured above at the bottom, it is the second, third, and fourth, designs from the right. 

4. No weird clasps to work with.
Bracelet clasps can be super annoying sometimes! Some of them are so hard to open and it can take you several tries before you successfully put on a bracelet with just one hand. Friendship bracelets have a zero tolerance for annoying bracelet clasps because they don't have any! I like making adjustable friendship bracelets, which are very simple to make. All it requires is being able to pull string, so if you can pull string, you can work this bracelet! 

5. They're great for all genders. 
Unlike a lot of jewelry on the market today, friendship bracelets aren't just for girls - guys can rock them too! A guy can probably wear the same design a girl can wear and be cool with it, since I don't know too many guys who would willingly wear a girls' necklace from Claire's. 

6. They make you feel so creative!
Whenever I wear my friendship bracelets to class that I've made I always feel so talented and artsy! This is a great confidence booster and is actually a cool way to let people see another side of you without you ever having to open your mouth! I've found that for me, these bracelets are a cool ice breaker because I get lots of compliments on them from random people and before I know it, we've had a 20 minute conversation! 

Maybe one day friendship bracelets will re-claim their popularity as a fashion statement. Maybe one day we'll have a friendship bracelet empire. Okay, maybe not but friendship bracelets are still really cool! Let me know what your favorite fashion piece is! 





No comments:

Post a Comment