Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Study Session Playlist


You just can't help but get and shake it up when Taylor Swift's Shake It Up starts blaring from your headphones but it's just a little counterproductive when you get up from your textbook every five minutes to move your hips like there's no one around to watch.

I enjoy playing music while I study or do homework. In fact, if there is a lot of background noise while I'm trying to study, I'll put in headphones and play music to drown out that background noise. Sometimes, I can't even fully concentrate in dead silence either - it's the way my brain works.

So what songs do I listen to to keep me from starting a conga line while I'm studying? Taylor Swift? Fallout Boy? 5 Seconds of Summer? Or is it Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea? Ariana Grande? Would you believe it if I told you that I like listening to classical music and composed pieces while I study? I know, I know, Katy Perry is not a classic even though she's super awesome! (I love you Katy!)

I've been in the school band since the 7th grade - a proud clarinetist. We played a lot of classical pieces and a lot of medleys from Broadway. I also discovered some interesting composers by performing in the band so I like to listen to some of the songs that we performed and also look for others from my favorite composers.

I love listening this kind of music while studying because:


  • there are no lyrics so there are no words that could confuse you while you're studying 
  • many songs have five different atmospheres in one piece 
  • this kind of music makes me overall more alert 
  • the instruments sound so natural and not fake and it promotes calm in my opinion 
Have I sold you yet on the idea of listening to classical music while studying? I sure hope so! We know Mozart, Bach, and Vivaldi - true classics - but here are a few other songs that I like to have ready for a study session:

1. The Witch and the Saint by Steven Reineke 
This is probably my all-time favorite piece ever! Steven Reineke's pieces are usually drawn from mythology (which I love to begin with!) and they paint clear and heated stories - like you could almost hear the saintly sister calling out to you through the flute. This eerie piece matches the mystery of college homework!

2. Fate of the Gods by Steven Reineke 
Another Steven Reineke favorite. This one depicts the primordial world and features Loki - the Norse trickster God in an intense battle against good. I love playing this one when I'm writing a paper because there are a few hurried ballads that promote a sense of urgency. My fingers literally type faster when these parts come on!

3. Goddess of Fire by Steven Reineke 
You're probably wondering when I'm going to shut up about Steven Reineke but what can I say - I'm a huge fan of his music! Goddess of Fire is a great warm up song - a song that can really get me in the mood for some intense Study Guide - typing! With many changes in tempo, like many of his other pieces, I seem to speed up and slow back down naturally.

4. Grand March from Aida by Verdi 
This song is truly grand! In high school we performed this piece as a band during our graduation ceremony. It's elegant and majestic and though I can't help but sway my head to the bright tune of the trumpet solo it's a great piece to accompany a reading assignment.

5. The Tenth Planet by Gustav Holst
This is great for angrily writing study guides. Sometimes when you're pen gets moving it just can't stop and with this song you won't want to take a break! Better for you since you'll get your work done quicker!

6. Hoedown from Rodeo by Aaron Copland
The Tenth Planet is great for angry writing while Hoedown is great for hyperactive writing though they both have the same effect. It's a great supplement because you feel uplifted while studying even though there aren't words in the song to confuse you!

7. The Tempest by Robert W. Smith
I love this piece because the rhythms are simple and create a sense of urgency to get those hands typing faster. I love that I seem to focus with the pace of the song while staying tuned into my work!

These are my top 7 songs to study to! They keep me focused while drowning out background noise. If you're having trouble focusing on work then I suggest adding in a healthy dose of the classics to your musical lifestyle. You don't have to start listening to them while studying right away but feel around for your favorite composers and pick and choose works from their collections. Can you guess who my favorite composer is? ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment