Friday, July 17, 2015

POLKA DOT NAILS 
Here's a super simple design that you can do if you a) run out of other nail art ideas b) don't have too much time on your hands to draw dinosaurs on your nails c) want a cool pattern on your nails or d) all of the above. 
These nails are kinda inspired by the cool ring I'm wearing in the picture above, which I got from an awesome accessories store called Six at my local mall. Just like the bow on the ring, my nails have a black background with white polka dots except for my accent nail (my ring finger) which has a confetti glitter polish on it. 

Here's a quick tip when dealing with glitter nail polish because the thing about it is that it's so cool on its own but can be a pain sometimes...If you want to wear glitter nail polish you should pick a background color that matches closely with the tone of the glitter. Apply one coat of the solid nail polish color and wait for it to dry. Then add a coat of the glitter nail polish or until you are satisfied with how your nails look. That's it! When I was younger I used to apply a minimum of four coats of glitter nail polish because it was never as opaque as I wanted it to be. Also, in my experience with glitter nail polish it can sometimes take a while to completely dry to the point where if you pick things up and touch things the object won't put a dent in your freshly painted nails. This can be really annoying! Ever since I realized that I could just put on a coat of solid colored nail polish and one coat of glitter and it looks just as good as if I were to apply five coats of just glitter, I've been doing exactly that! 

On my accent nail I applied black nail polish as a background color and once it dried I applied the glitter nail polish on top. The glitter nail polish I used on the accent nail is from Delia's and is called Galaxy Glitter. If you have purple glitter nail polish then you should use a shade of solid purple nail polish before applying a coat of the glitter. Basically, use a color that will help bring out the glitter more! Also, the black nail polish I used is from Sinful Colors and is called Blackout. For the white polka dots I used any white nail polish from New York Color. 
You can use a dotting tool to create even-sized dots on your nails. Dotting tools come in a few different sizes corresponding to different sized dots. Before I got a dotting tool when I wanted to do polka dots on my nails I would just take the head of a bobby pin (which is kind of round) dip it into the nail polish of my choice and dot the nail polish on my nails as if it were a dotting tool. It works just the same! And if you don't have bobby pins you can try using the bottom end of an angled eyeliner brush or or any small skinny makeup brush but keep in mind that the dots will come out larger if you choose this over a bobby pin. That's just a quick fix for you if you don't have a dotting tool but want to make polka dot designs. 

In my opinion this kind of design can never go out of style or will never be just a transient trend - it's fun and eye-catching and can probably go with anything! Whether you don't have time to paint a Van Gogh on your nails or if you're drawing a blank on designs you can give this design a go! Try other color combinations like blue and orange, for example! 

No comments:

Post a Comment