Monday, October 26, 2015

Halloween Nails


My favorite holiday is right around the corner! Of course it wouldn't be Halloween if I didn't paint my nails to match the occasion! There's a different design on every nail which makes the overall look interesting because there's so much going on on your hand but it all comes together enchantingly

Thumb: 
On this nail is a super simple jack-o-lantern. I used Electra-cute from the Sally Hansen Gel line. After two coats of this bright orange polish dried I took a really fine dotting tool that I bought from Claire's and dipped it into black nail polish from Sinful Colors. I carefully painted two triangles for eyes and one smaller one for a nose. The fine dotting tool was great for this because I still had a lot of control over what I painted so it was efficient in getting the job done. I used the same dotting tool paint on a large smile under the nose. Then I used the same black nail polish and dotting tool to make lines across the mouth. I guess my jack-o-lantern is somewhat scarecrow-esque because of that! That's okay - being 1/4 scarecrow is awesome anyway! To finish off this nail I took Revlon's Posh and with my dotting tool I made a tuft of green at the top. 

Index Finger: 
This nail is a colorful sugar skull, which will match my sugar skull makeup look for Halloween! Sugar skulls have been getting a lot of attention in recent years. If you didn't already know, they are used in the Mexican Day of the Dead celebration but they have been arising as part of Halloween now too. 

For this nail I just took a regular white nail polish from New York Color, which I really would like to get rid of in favor of a different brand because this brand leaves a streaky finish with the white nail polish. After the white nail polish dried, I took a larger dotting tool and, using the same black nail polish from before, I made large black dots for the eyes and used my tiny dotting tool to make a triangular nose. Unfortunately, this sugar skull is not part scarecrow but we love him just the way he is <3. I then took various colors such as yellow, green, pink, and aqua to create tiny dots all over my sugar skull since they are so brightly colored! 




Middle Finger: 
This one is all about Frankenstein - our walking science experiment with stitches. For this I used Innocent from Sinful Colors - a shocking green. Once it dried I took the black nail polish and a thin brush and started painting on Frankie's hair. It's completely fine to get a little messy with it since his hair is a tad bit unruly. I made two white dots with small black dots inside them for eyes and painted on the mouth the same way I did for the jack-o-lantern nail. 

Ring Finger: 
This one is a magical gradient nail. First things first: I painted the entire nail with white nail polish. This will help your gradient show up way better! This is pretty much rule #2 of painting gradient nails. (Rule #1 is to have colors to use in your gradient!) I used a purple nail polish from Fingr's which came in a kit, a really pretty magenta from L.A. Colors, and Electra-cute. I applied these three colors to a makeup sponge and dabbed and rolled it across my nail. This is our gorgeous Halloween sky. 

Once our gradient sky dried I took black nail polish and with a striper brush made lines for cross tombstones and painted on two bats that look like birds. 

Pinky: 
This is the easiest Halloween design ever - I painted a solid purple background using the same purple nail polish from Fingr's. Once it dried I took a large dotting tool and dipped it into white nail polish to create eyes. I Also used black nail polish to create pupils. Done! You now have a spooky monster residing on your pinky! 

This array of nail art is wonderful for Halloween and your friends will hardly believe that you did this all by yourself! This is no trick - this Halloween nailart is actually very easy and replicable. You can also do your entire hand with just one of these designs! Happy Halloween, y'all! 




No comments:

Post a Comment