Friday, October 30, 2015

Sugar Skull Makeup Look


Halloween is my favorite holiday and in recent years I've been experimenting around with Halloween face painting kits that you get from Target. This year I decided to turn my face into a Sugar Skull from the Mexican Day of the Dead Holiday. I find the design of Sugar Skulls to be extremely intricate and artistic. The bright, jubilant colors are appealing against a white background so they really stand out.

Traditionally, symbols and figures of Halloween are always dark and spooky like the Grim Reaper, however, Sugar Skulls introduce a new personality to our ghoulish holiday. This being said I got myself yet another face paint kit from Target and decided to transform into a Sugar Skull.

I started off by priming my face with the Benefit Porefector primer, which I bought a while ago from Macy's for only $10 since I picked up the sample size package. Once my face was matte I used my fingers to spread around the white cream makeup from the Halloween kit. The makeup was very buildable and pigmented and easy to work with. I did not apply this around my eyes. The only thing I'd do differently next time with regard to this is using a makeup sponge to apply and spread the makeup.

Afterward, I began working on my eye area. I took a very black eyeshadow from my Makeup Essentials Classic 10 palette and applied that to my brow bone, eyelid, and undereye area. Below that I applied a bright sky blue eyeshadow from a palette I bought from Macy's. I didn't apply any of the black cream makeup from the Halloween kit since it isn't recommended that you get this product anywhere near your eyes.

I applied the black cream makeup to my nose, however, in somewhat of a triangular shape. This was extremely pigmented and creamy so less is more! I used the colorful grease-based makeup from the Halloween palette to apply pink, orange, and blue dots around my face in an unplanned pattern. My goal was just to add enough color without overdoing the look.

For my lips I applied a hot pink lipstick that I got from Walgreens. I used Wet n' Wild's Don't Blink Pink which went really well with this look and also looks great as a regular everyday lippie. The lipstick added more fun to the look!

Lastly I topped it off with a spookily cool headband (see what I did there?) I bought it from Walgreens and, to be honest, this headband is what inspired me to do this look. I was with my brother checking out decorations and this headband was hiding on the bottom shelf. The colorful flowers and the skull on top reminded me of Sugar Skulls and I knew I had to buy it and create this look!

There you have it - my Halloween Sugar Skull makeup look!

Happy Halloween! 


No comments:

Post a Comment